What LEGO Serious Play is — and what it is not!
Recently I had a chat with a colleague about using LEGO® in training and workshops, and what the heck, is this LEGO® Serious Play thing all about.
Here is what I responded.
Talking about doing management training or running workshops with LEGO®, people always gape at me puzzled with a weird look.
"Are you kidding...? LEGO in a serious business environment...? This can work as ice breakers or in a learning context only."
For sure, LEGO® bricks are quite perfect for learning experiences and to show the stuff to be learned right on the hands — take this words literally.
Sure, LEGO® bricks are a great tool to break the ice and shyness between people, and to start their engagement.
But this is NOT LEGO Serious Play!
LEGO® Serious Play is not...
- a format for training people. A LEGO® Serious Play workshop does not deliver any learning content. Thus, do not integrate it in your class-room or training environment to teach something.
- a format of "self-experience" for oneself. Sure, to each LEGO® Serious Play workshop you can add a reflection part to debrief the workshop. But this is not the prime focus and main intention of LEGO® Serious Play.
- a fun and playful "business constellation exercise". Modeling and playing organisational dependencies can be part of a LEGO® Serious Play workshop; but not necessarily. You can run a workshop without visualising any business landscaping.
- a quick-gamer for your workshops. You can't do a LEGO® Serious Play workshop under 30 min. To gain profound and working achievements, you have to have to spend at least 1 hour. And within 1 hour, you can grasp "easy and fast understandable issues" only.
LEGO® Serious Play is...
A facilitated method for strategic decision-making and problem resolution in business environments.
LEGO® Serious Play is...
- a format to align workshop situations always to business goals;
- a workshop method to deliver results to be used directly next day at the work floor immediately;
- a format where participants are all equally involved in finding the business solutions;
- a format to unleash your creativity and ideas by metaphorical thinking. The bricks are only a tool unlock your deeper understanding for a topic.
Fields of Application
With LEGO® Serious Play you can solve management and business issues like
- Defining a Shared Vision & Getting Commitment,
- Defining Business Strategy & Vision,
- Developing Business Process Management,
- Developing Teams & Employees,
- Implementing Culture Change, / Organ. Change,
- Performing Market Analysis, SWAT Analysis,
- Brainstorming Innovation & Ideation / Product Design,
- Defining Value Proposition & Value Added (Business Canvas),
- Aligning any topics to business goals in general.
"May the power of bricks be with thou" — Trust me, I'm a trained LEGO Serious Play facilitator.
Give me a call!