Niko-Niko Calender — Pros & Cons
What is a Niko-Niko Calendar?
A Niko-Niko calendar is a visual, iconic tool to track the mood of a team — aka of monitoring of a Happiness Index. You set up a calendar template. Each team member records her mood after each working day with a smiley.
Nikoniko means in Japanese "smiling".
Pros & Cons of Niko-Niko Calendars
- Niko-Niko Calendars are a simple tool for employees to record their personal mood.
- Employees feel recognized and valued.
- Scrum masters or management can track team emotions easily.
There are some Cons:
- Employees could see posting smileys as being in a Kindergarten.
- Emotions are individually different sensations. You can not generalize them or reduce them to a numerical scale of 1-5, or (+, —, neutral).
- Do not use individual emotions like happiness to assess or evaluate individual employee performance.
- Sakata Akinori: Niko-Niko Calendar. Jan. 4, 2006.
- Agile Alliance: What is a Niko-Niko Calendar.
- Sabrina Son: Why a Niko-Niko Calendar Kills Workplace Morale. TINYpulse, May 10, 2016.
- Bernd Schiffer: How to Track the Team’s Mood with a Niko-Niko Calendar. Sept. 12, 2011.
: desmart.com, .