POChallenge — Product Owner Challenge Game
Reading Time: 3 minutes
The Product Owner Challenge Game
is an agile game with Lego bricks. The goal is to illustrate a waterfall-driven product development culture transitioning from Waterfall to Agile the agile mindset
: communicate face-to-face clear objectives, requirements, and product vision
— a real challenge for a product development department.
I created the game "Product Owner Challenge (POChallenge)" to illustrate my customers the agile mindset in transitioning from Waterfall to Agile.
"POChallenge" is a new agile game with Lego bricks. It supports organisations in transitioning from Waterfall to Agile and illustrates the agile mindset to a waterfall-driven product development culture: stop micro-management and communicate face-to-face clear objectives, requirements, and product vision.
The product description is in one part of the room, PO and DevTeam in the other. PO is not allowed to show it to DevTeam, but can inspect the plan as often it's needed — PO has to "walk & talk" — real challenges for traditional-minded product development departments.
Challenge your Product Development (PO) team!
- To communicate with DevTeams as clear as possible,
- To describe the requirements and product vision to DevTeams as precise as needed,
- To micro-manage the project or to allow the DevTeam self-organisation,
- To handle locally distributed DevTeams appropriately,
- To manage the product development project waterfall- or agile driven like.
Target Audience — Product Owner, Scrum Master, Product Dev Manager/Leads
Game Objectives — Share product vision and instructions to the team as precise as possible to build the product right. Communicate (requirements) as clear as possible.
Learning Points — (1) Co-located collaboration leads to faster results and better quality; (2) Even precise, clear and distinct as possible, verbal communication alone is never precise, clear and distinct enough; (3) Too detailed instructions hinder creativity and turn fast to micro-management.
Playing instructions — PO and DevTeam are in separate rooms or in one room separated by distance. Only PO has building instructions and is not allowed to show it to DevTeam. – PO has to communicate!
- Product mgmt (PO) decides which product (model) of the Lego kit the DevTeam has to build
- PO has the building description
- DevTeam has Lego bricks only, and no building description
- PO is not allowed to show construction plan or photos to DevTeam;
- PO is allowed to inspect the plan as often she he needs to.